Friday, October 2, 2009

Freya

Freya is a Seppala strain Siberian Husky. She was rescued from a bad situation in a Canadian puppy mill and fostered for 2 years by Karen Yeargain (Karen Y) in Oregon.

Karen Y cared for & ran Freya while she waited for Freya to be ready to be placed into a Forever Home. When Karen Yeargain noticed that Freya was making enough progress and was adoptable to the "right" home, she posted a message. I saw that message and knew I'd seen Freya briefly a year early at the Shaver Lake race. She was so shy back then, I didn't get to go close to Freya.

Not sure why, but I tend to gravitate to shy dogs. It must be the early abusive backgrounds (which created their shyness) that cries out to me. Guess I'm willing to take the time to build the trust and confidence in these dogs. They must sense it.

Freya's first night with the Greenacre Gang, she slept alone by the back door. By her second night with us, she was sleeping less than a foot away from my head & with her new pack!

It's been a year since she joined us and she is still shy, but she has come such a long way in her trust and being able to relax (& play)! We've gone from my not being able to pet her to her coming up to me to take food from my hand and my being able to flip her upside down in my lap & massage her.

Freya just loves to run with the team. She is the Greenacre Gang's "Cheerleader." She can run in any position, but usually runs in swing/team or wheel (depending on how many dogs are on the gang line). During a break, she's always the first dog to start jumping & barking to get going again.

No comments:

Post a Comment